Top tips for choosing an ePOD solution for your haulage business
An integrated TMS and ePOD solution can speed up POD returns, eliminate manual work and duplication. Whilst there are many different ePOD apps available to haulage operators which one is right for your road transport operation? Here’s an overview of some things to look for when you’re looking for an ePOD app to help simplify your collections and deliveries.
The manual process of producing and distributing paper manifests to hgv drivers can be time-consuming and costly. Waiting for paper delivery notes to be returned can delay the invoicing process. When they arrive back in the traffic office, there’s lots of work to be done before invoicing can be done. Investing in the right technology for your business is a big step so it’s important to make sure you find the right solution for your road transport operation.
- No matter which sector or type of work you do; bulk haulage or waste transfer, full load or multi-drop, look for a solution suitable to manage all the work you do. One size doesn’t always fit all so when you’re speaking to software vendors, ensure any ePOD solution they offer can support all of the processes you need.
- Managing paper. No matter how much you’d like to go paperless it’s not always as straightforward as you’d like. Paper delivery notes and consignment notes may be a stipulation of shippers. So how can you manage paperwork without falling foul of delays in signed delivery notes being returned, or worse, paper proof of delivery being lost or damaged? There is an app from Mandata that lets hgv drivers take photo’s of signed paper delivery notes. They’re then instantly uploaded to a transport management system so both your traffic office and admin office staff can view the document. It can also appear within a Customer Portal for customers to see too if you would like. It means if you still need paper proof documents, you can. It’s just you’re not having to wait for them being returned before you can provide proof of delivery to your customers. It also means you can get on and invoice the job quicker.
- How integrated is an ePOD app? The best type of ePOD app is one that integrates fully with your transport management system, minimising the manual work you have to do. An integrated ePOD app allows driver instructions to be sent as jobs are planned in the TMS and for electronic signatures and photo ePODs to be easily captured and uploaded instantly. If you use an ePOD app that’s not integrated, it means you may still have to do extra work to scan proof documents or transfer proof documents / details from one system to another, wasting time, and making it more difficult than it needs to be to keep your customers informed.
- Keeping customers informed. An integrated ePOD app links to your office system, providing real-time proof of delivery information to your staff and customers too. If using a customer portal, details could be uploaded instantly here too for your customers to view/download and therefore reduce eta enquiries you receive.
- Finding non-conformance early. Visibility of problems means you’re better able to address them quickly. Ask your software vendor how easy it is for HGV drivers to log non-conformances. It means invoices are correct and more likely to get paid quickly.
Mandata provides integrated transport management software solutions for the road transport and logistics sector.
Our integrated transport management systems, Mandata TMS and Mandata TMS Go! integrate with the Mandata Manifest App to provide seamless integration and workflow from delivery and collection through to electronic proof of delivery and email invoice. For advice on which ePOD solution is right for your haulage business talk to one of our industry experts today.